Our history

the history of elk mountain

Elk Mountain history dates back to 1959, when Elk became one of Pennsylvania’s first commercial ski areas.

The mountain's first Hall Double chairlift was installed in 1961

The installation of the first Hall double chairlift led to the development of five expert trails and various intermediate trails from the top. Elk’s first expert trail, completed before the chairlift itself, was host to the 1960 Pennsylvania State Championships. Enthusiastic competitors and gatekeepers actually walked to the summit from the top of the T-bar to run the race.

Elk’s expanded operations led to the construction of a new maintenance facility and the expansion of snowmaking capabilities, both of which were completed in 1984. In the decades that followed, the snowmaking system was fine tuned even more.

In the early 80’s a new Ski Shop, Ski Patrol facility and Locker Room was constructed. The following years, The Winter Garden Restaurant was built, the cafeteria kitchen was doubled in size and the cafeteria updated.  In the mid 80’s a new work shop, pump house, and storage shed was built. Elk also purchased a new grooming tractor at that time.